The KSA Memoir: How I got ‘admission’ into University of Lagos (UNILAG) +Story of my first guitar

KSA signed to Record by Bolarinwa Abioro 
was not until after two years that I returned to Osogbo to see my mother.  The visit was at the instance of Olaiya,
who gave me money and insisted that I went. 
Olaiya explained that I was still underage and he needed
someone to be my guarantor in case anything went wrong.  Before then, however, I had sent a message to
my mother, through a man at Idumota, that I had been given
admission into the University of Lagos.

I eventually got to Osogbo, I did the explaining all over again, telling the same
lie.  My mother just stared at me.  She was too shocked to utter a word.  My sister, however, was livid, telling me about
the crisis I had put my mother through. 
Of course, she did not believe that I was in the University and demanded
an evidence of my studentship.  She also
invited teachers and friends of my family to ask me where I had been.  The only thing I said was that I had told my mother
where I was.  They asked my mother, who
told them to ask me.  They asked and I
repeated what I said earlier.  When they
kept asking, I said: ‘Come to Lagos and
you will see me or do you want me to wear a uniform before you become
convinced.  We don’t wear uniforms for
your information’.
One of KSA’s recording at Bolarinwa Abioro’s African Songs Ltd
could not say I was playing music in Lagos
because my mother could be in trouble with my father’s family.  So, I called her aside and confided in her,
pleading that she should keep it a secret. 
I assured her that I was comfortable and that I would go to school
soon.  I also showed her the picture of
our band and asked her to pray for me.  I
owe a lot to my mother.  I sing for her
every time I see her.  If she had
revealed that I was playing music to other members of my family, I would not
have liked it at all.  My family members
would have criticized me and I would not have the kind of good relationship
that exists among us now.
KSA recorded many songs for Chief Bolarinwa Abioro
Why I don’t drink or
rejoined the band on my return from Osogbo.  On weekends, we played at Palace
, where occasionally, they would dress me in adult clothes so that
people from Osogbo would not recognize me. 
Sometimes, we played in places like Ado-Ekiti and Benin City, once or twice
to avoid being recognized, I rarely mixed with people and never drank nor
smoked.  I was strictly a band boy whose
responsibility was to take care of the instruments before or after each
session.  I did the setting and packing
each time.
I could not say I was
playing music in Lagos because my mother could be in trouble with my father’s
family.  So, I called her aside and
confided in her, pleading that she should keep it a secret.  I assured her that I was comfortable and that
I would go to school soon.  I also showed
her the picture of our band and asked her to pray for me.  I owe a lot to my mother”
my stay with Olaiya, I was able to save money.  I did so by being so humble.  As the youngest band member, it was my job to
buy food for older colleagues.  Whenever they
wanted to eat, they would call ‘smallie’ (me) to go and buy
food.  I usually went with as many as
five plates at a time. The favorite food was amala.  Soon the amala seller became familiar with
me. For each plate I bought, she gave me a little extra. That extra was mine,
while the full places were for those who sent me. For this reason, I never
needed to pay for my own meals.  I will
forever remain grateful to the Olaiyas.

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

KSA…The Music Man
How I bought my first
my savings, I teamed up with two other band members to rent a room in Moses
house. I also bought something that is now my identity – a
guitar.  It was an acoustic bought from Dr.
Victor Olaiya
at the cost of one pound and nine shillings.  I successfully hid it from my colleagues out
of fear that they could tell our band leader that I was planning to leave the
band or even push me out.  I decided to
teach myself how to play the guitar.  In
the night, I would go outside to one of the kiosks and start strumming.  I started with ‘Do, Re, Mi’ and later began
playing songs.  Back then, there was a
superstition that ghosts would hurt anyone playing guitar at night.  Each time I played outside, I saw people, not
ghosts.  As a matter of fact, I was ready
to dare the ghosts. Gradually, I mastered it. 
Still, my colleagues were unaware that I could play guitar until one day
that our boss was not available to lead us at a gig.
KSA with his first set of Musical Instruments
Day I broke my
day – I do not remember whether our boss was tired or had other engagements –
we did not know he was unavailable until it was too late.  About four bands were billed to play before
us and we thought he would arrive before it was our turn.  He did not. 
At our turn, I told my colleagues that I would play the guitar.  They were shocked.  ‘Can
play?’  One asked. 
‘I will try’, I said.  In any case, I had no choice or we would not
play at all and nobody would give us money. 
Then I picked up the guitar and said: ‘Let’s play’.  They
hesitated, afraid of the embarrassment that I could cause them with my
presumably silly stunt.  The fear was
almost tangible.  Then, all of them
asked, at once, if I could play.  I said
yes.  But question of who was going to
lead was still unresolved.  I called John
, the blind man who originally played drums and sang to be the lead
KSA with Dr. Yemi Farounbi (R) and others
Encounter with Chief
Tunde Amuwo…
told him to sing all the songs we were already familiar with and we would
jointly sing the chorus.  We started
singing, injecting people’s names and singing their praises.  As we played, one man kept looking at
me.  Occasionally, my eyes met his and I
would become uncomfortable.  My mind told
me that he would slap me after the show for ruining his evening with my
amateurish guitar riffs.
thoughts proved unfounded.  After the
show, he called me and introduced himself as Chief Tunde Amuwo.  He was a politician and musician of the Action
.  ‘Where did you come from?’ he asked.  I told him I was a member of the band.  ‘Where
is Olaiya?
’ I said he did not come, probably because he was tired.
KSA signed to Record by Bolarinwa Abioro
‘Tell him that I want
to see him.  I have some instruments at
home.  You are a good boy.  You can lead a band’
.  That was the last thing I wanted to
hear.  But he still went on to say he
would tell my boss what he had told me. 
I do not know if he did, but after some months, my boss told me that a
friend of his wanted to give me his instruments.
also asked if I would like to form my own band. 
I was stupefied.  At 20, I
considered myself too young to lead a band. 
I told my boss that I did not come to Lagos to lead a band if that was
his plan, he should send me back to the theatre group.  Rather than back down, our leader said: ‘Sunday,
I think you have to go and try your luck’
.  My eyes were misty and he
saw the sadness in them.  Yet, he did not
stop.  He commended the loyalty I had
shown to his band and said if I was his son, he would encourage me to take the
KSA performing at a show in the early 70s
Olaiya realized that his words were making no sense
to me.  He also sensed my fear of failure
– if I eventually said yes.  He offered a
safety net.  ‘Form your own band and after
nine months, come back if it fails’
, he said.  He told me to go and take the instruments; I
thanked him and walked away.
a whole week, I could not sleep because of a constant headache.  I thought he wanted me out of his band by all
means and I wondered what I could have done to deserve expulsion.  When I could find no reason for such, I approached
his senior wife to plead on my behalf. But after listening to me, she said: ‘Oga o
ri be.  Lo try’
.  (It is not so, go and give it a shot).  Her words failed to comfort me.  I moved on to older band members and told
them the story and, surprisingly, they all advised that I should begin to think
about it.
The King of Guitar
concluded that there was a conspiracy to get me out of the band.  Why? I could not figure out.  About two weeks after, our boss asked if I
had gone to look at the instruments.  I
said I had not. ‘Why?’  He asked. 
I kept quiet.  ‘Go there tomorrow’, he ordered.  I went to Chief Amuwo, who owned
the Western
at Apongbon.  The place was
one of those pulled down to build the Eko Bridge.  He showed me the equipment and they were the
type used by big bands like I.K Dairo and Dele Ojo.  They were not new, but in very good
condition.  What else could I do?
from the book; KSA: My Life, My Music by
King Sunny Ade. Read ‘How I became a band leader @ age 20’
tomorrow on this blog